Makes 1 drink
- 1 cup (250 ml) unfiltered apple juice or cider
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus 1 strip of zest
- Juice of ½ orange, plus 1 strip of zest
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 2 allspice berries
- ¼ fennel seeds
- Small red chile (optional)
- ½ teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
- Add the apple juice/cider, lemon juice, orange juice, zests, spices, and fennel seeds to a small pan. Simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes but do not allow to boil.
- If you’re adding the chile, do so halfway through and keep tasting. Remove if it starts to become too spicy. The chile is intended to add a bit of background heat and should be barely noticeable.
- Pour liquid through strainer into mug or heatproof glass. Discard spices
- Add butter to liquid in glass and stir until melted. Serve with cinnamon stick for garnish.
Adapted from “Dry: Delicious Handcrafted Cocktails and Other Clever Concoctions – Seasonal. Refreshing. Alcohol-Free” by Clare Liardet.