Position Title: Development Manager
Reports To: General Manager
With the plays of William Shakespeare at our core, Seattle Shakespeare Company engages our audiences, our artists, and our community in the universal human experience inherent in classic drama through the vitality, immediacy, and intimacy of live performance and dynamic outreach programs.
Founded in 1991, Seattle Shakespeare Company is Washington State’s leading professional, classical theatre. The company has an annual budget of $2 million, of which $1.2 million is contributed. The company has finished 19 of the last 20 years in the black and has a comfortable cash reserve. Seattle Shakespeare Company is governed by a 16-person Board of Directors and has a core of 12 staff members, with plans to grow by 3-5 positions over the next 6 months.
Position Summary: The Development Manager is a principal part of the Seattle Shakespeare Company staff, responsible for guiding donor relationships and cultivating contributed revenue sources. Working closely with the Institutional Giving Manager, General Manager, and other staff members, the Development Manager manages fundraising efforts including individual giving, contributed reporting, pledge tracking, data entry, special events management, donor recognition, and in-kind donations. The Development Manager must be a creative, passionate, articulate, and skillful ambassador for Seattle Shakespeare Company, its mission, and its programs.
For more on Seattle Shakespeare Company, please see our website at seattleshakespeare.org.
Compensation: Seattle Shakespeare has a banded pay structure with all managers salaried at $26.50/hour (approx. $55k/year for this full time, 40 hr/week position). Benefits include medical and vision insurance, paid vacation, and paid holidays. Hours are flexible with the exception of special events and our office is currently hybrid (in person/remote).
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and three references to email@example.com. (No phone calls, please.)
Position Closing Date: Open until filled. All applications received by October 10, 2022 will be reviewed at the same time.
Essential Functions Include:
- Manage individual giving and donor relations:
- Coordinate creation, production, and supervision of campaigns – direct mail, email, curtain appeals, GiveBIG, Wooden O, and others
- Oversee Arden Circle, SSC’s monthly and multi-year giving program
- Strategize approaches to major donor prospects and work with General Manager, Development Chair, and Board of Directors on researching, cultivating, soliciting, renewing, and upgrading major donors
- Serve as a trusted organizational contact for donors, providing stellar customer service
- Provide leadership with Event Chairs and Board Committees on planning and implementing fundraising and cultivation events, including:
- Annual Education Celebration (fall)
- Bill’s Bash Gala Auction (spring)
- Opening Nights
- Donor cultivation/appreciation events (Donor Tech, First Rehearsal)
- Other events as scheduled
- Perform general administrative tasks for development department:
- Oversee any development assistants, contractors, volunteers
- Ensure accurate management of data, effective revision of donor lists, and timely acknowledgement of gifts
- Devise and prepare monthly reports for Board
- Track development revenues and expenses
- Attend staff and board meetings, opening nights, performances, and funding events
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and communications skills
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel)
- History of working collaboratively and independently
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strategic thinking, organization, creativity, flexibility
- Passion for the theatre
- Must be able to work occasional weekend or evening events
- Experience planning and running events
- Knowledge of Community Centric Fundraising practices
- Database management (particularly Salesforce)
- A point of view not currently represented by the SSC staff
Are you interested in the work, but unsure if you qualify? We want to hear from you! Did you know that global majority populations, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are less likely to apply for jobs where they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications? We know we are a stronger company when we share a variety of perspectives, so we’d love to hear yours.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org