Seattle Shakespeare Company
Position Title: Community Engagement Associate
Reports To: Associate Artistic Director and Communications Director
With the plays of William Shakespeare at our core, Seattle Shakespeare Company engages our audiences, our artists, and our community in the universal human experience inherent in classic drama through the vitality, immediacy, and intimacy of live performance and dynamic outreach programs.
Founded in 1991, Seattle Shakespeare Company is Washington State’s leading professional, classical theatre. The company is governed by a 16-person Board of Directors and has a core of 12 staff members, with plans to grow by 3-5 positions over the next 6 months.
Position Summary: The Community Engagement Associate will foster healthy relationships with underserved populations within the local Seattle community. They will support the DPA (Diversity Programming Associate) in overcoming institutional racism and bias within the company’s classical work.
For more on Seattle Shakespeare Company, please see our website at seattleshakespeare.org.
Applying for Multiple Positions: Seattle Shakespeare Company is hiring for five different part-time Associate positions this fall. Applicants are welcome to apply for more than one position, and to indicate if they would be interested in a full-time option that combines the responsibilities of two positions. There is an SSC Associate Job Application for all five positions that must be filled out to indicate your preferences.
Compensation: Seattle Shakespeare has a banded pay structure with all associates and coordinators salaried at $24.25/hour (approx. $25k/year for this part time, 20 hr/week position). Hours are flexible with the exception of special events and our office is currently hybrid (in person/remote). Benefits would be based on part- or full-time status. Part-time benefits include vacation and sick days. Full-time benefits also include medical and vision.
Position Closing Date: Open until filled. Priority application deadline is December 2, 2022. Preferred start date is early January 2023.
Essential Functions Include:
- Build relationships with community leaders, partners, and organizations which lead to mutual support
- Create strategy for the whole company to continually engage with individual communities
- Advocate for Seattle Shakespeare within historically marginalized communities and advocate for historically marginalized communities within Seattle Shakespeare
- Work with DPA to advise staff members on matters of equity, inclusion, and care in their respective work areas
- Support secondary artistic programming, currently including Shakespeare Equity Engagement, Snacks and Facts, Talkbacks, Brown Out Shows, Accessibility Performances
- Identify new opportunities for programs or events which will further community, audience, and organizational engagement
- Other duties as required
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and communications skills
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel)
- Attention to detail and follow-through, particularly with regard to interpersonal interactions
- Passion for how theater has the potential to connect communities to mutual benefit
- Familiarity with and connection to the artistic, cultural, and social service communities of the greater Seattle area
- Proven ability to foster and grow relationships between organizations and communities
- Experience developing EDI practices within PWI institution(s)
- Knowledge of and familiarity with social media platforms and best practices
- Experience creating programming for artists, students, or community groups
- Connection to organizational and social innovators in communities beyond Seattle
Are you interested in the work, but unsure if you qualify? We want to hear from you! Did you know that global majority populations, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are less likely to apply for jobs where they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications? We know we are a stronger company when we share a variety of perspectives, so we’d love to hear yours.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com